We can train up to 45 + Construction Professionals at each On-Site / In-House Training session and 100’s of Construction Professionals by providing Webinars.
The On-Site / In-House Training seminars will be presented in Owners or EPC / Construction company’s offices or at a nearby hotel / conference center. Companies can eliminate expensive staff travel costs and hotel expenses when Compass International comes to your location.
- Estimating International Construction Projects (1 Day): Utilizes Compass International’s latest Global Construction Cost Yearbook that details current engineering and construction costs in 101 countries. Topics include: engineering & field labor rates / productivity, local material costs, square meter / square feet unit cost for various building types, current & historical inflation rates, location factors, plant hire costs, exchange rates, local taxes, transportation costs and much more!
- Front End / Conceptual Estimating Methods (1 to 2 Days): Uses Compass International’s most recent Front End / Conceptual Estimating Yearbook. The seminar covers Oil & Gas Facilities, Refineries, Chemical Facilities, Power Plants, Manufacturing Buildings, Metals Production, LNG Facilities & Ethylene Plants. This course will teach the attendees Ratios, Major Equipment Multipliers, Exponents, Semi-Detailed and other Front End Estimating time saving methods that can be used to validate or compile Class 3 type estimates.
- Pharmaceutical / Clean Rooms / High Tech Manufacturing / Food & Beverage Facilities Estimating Methods (1 Day): Utilizes Compass International’s latest High Tech Facilities Cost Yearbook. Participants will learn how to estimate R&D Buildings, Animal Testing Facilities, ISO 3 thru 8 Classified Clean Rooms, Manufacturing, Food & Beverage Facilities, various production / manufacturing equipment, special architectural finishes, process piping systems and much more.
- Pipelines, Mining & Offshore Estimating Methods (1 Day): Utilizes Compass International’s latest Cost Data Yearbooks, this course will cover Onshore and Offshore Pipelines, Modules, Mining Benchmarks, Wind Turbines, Offshore Construction Cost Data and other specific cost data.
- Benchmarking & Estimating for Infrastructure & Industrial Projects (1 to 2 Days): Focused on General Buildings, Airports, Ports, Railways, Highways, Manufacturing Facilities, Power Plants, Mines, Refineries, Chemical Facilities, Offshore Production Facilities & Pipelines.
The above training topics can also be presented via a Webinar and can be offered in (2 or 4) half day modules or they can be fine-tuned and customized to your specific needs. These training seminars have been designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to the basics and fundamentals of Cost Estimating for Process & Infrastructure related industry sectors. The seminars focus on conceptual / front end and detailed cost estimating concepts and practices that new and experienced Construction Professionals need to know in today’s competitive marketplace.
We can customize our training seminars to your specific needs. The seminars will be for the most part based on Compass International’s (7) Annual Cost Yearbooks & Compass International’s historical construction cost data library which is based on over 1,400 completed capital projects located in 40 + countries that we have accumulated or been involved with over a period of 30 + years.
These Estimating training seminars are appropriate for Owners, Consultants, Lawyers, Construction Managers & EPC Contractors. The differences in estimating methods for both Owners and EPC Contractors are significant; these differences will be described and discussed in detail. Significant emphasis will be focused on Conceptual, Front-End, Semi-Detailed and Front End Estimating methods that can greatly assist the Construction Professional in quickly getting up to speed in preparing timely and accurate cost estimates at the very early stage or at other key milestones of a CAPEX project.
- Introductions & Seminar Goals
- Estimating Terms and Applications / Scope of Work requirements
- Estimate Types / Classifications & Required Engineering Deliverables needed
- Understanding all of the estimate types, Order of Magnitude (OOM), Lang Factors, Ratio Factors, Major Equipment based estimates, Preliminary, Approval for Expenditure (AFE), Semi-Detailed & Detailed / Lump Sum / Turnkey Lump Sum (TKLS), details on the scope of work (SOW) / design / technical information / engineering deliverables required for each type of estimate, and the reliability limitations of each type will be discussed
- Developing the Estimate Plan / Estimating Department Responsibilities / Quantity Take-Off Topics / Estimating Data Sources / The Site Visit / Benchmarking Methods / Historical Data Collection
- Domestic & International Considerations
- Estimating Detailed Design costs, Construction Management costs, Site Establishment / Preliminaries costs, Field In-Directs costs, Start-Up, Commissioning, Spare Parts & Contingency considerations
- Warranty, Insurance, Maintenance Period, Performance Guarantees & Penalty Clauses
- Sales Tax / Import Duties / Freight Costs
- USA / Global Productivity Issues
- Various Contracting approaches (Union / Non Union Issues, Direct Hire or Sub-Contracting)
- Ensuring that all Scope of Work has been included in the final estimate
- Defining the Estimating Basis, i.e. listing out the estimating assumptions, exclusions, productivity values used, labor cost build up, in-directs, currency exchange rates used etc
- Establishing a Cost Estimating Department, COA / WBS, staffing requirements, work flow & current and future estimating tools
- Understanding the estimating problems of revamp and mega CAPEX projects
- Estimate Accuracy / The internal estimate review process
- Validating the estimate
- Presenting a Cost Estimate to Senior Management and getting approval
- Understanding EPC Contractor vs. Owner different points of view and challenges
- Updating and controlling the baseline estimate
- Advancing the Cost Estimating profession, and much more
John G. McConville, CCP – Estimating Expert and Author of (7) Cost Estimating Books and other equally experienced world class instructors that are well versed on the subject of Cost Estimating.
Partial List of Compass International’s Previous Clients – we have trained 3,000 + Construction Professionals in (7) countries.
Tata Steel (India),The University College of Estate Management – Reading University UK, Shell Oil (Dominican Republic), BP Oil, Bacardi Limited (Puerto Rico), Center for Professional Advancement – CFPA (USA & The Netherlands),Confidential Clients (Saudi Arabia), British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL – UK), Association American Cost Engineers (AACEI), RS Means (Largest North American provider of Construction Cost Data – 80 + Seminars), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), US Navy – Naval Air Station – Patuxent River, American Association of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Richardson Engineering (Venezuela), US Social Security Administration, Center for Disease Control (CDC), North American Space Agency (NASA)
These training seminars are designed for Estimators, Cost Engineers, Project Asset Teams, Project Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Valuation Engineers, Planners, Project Control Staff, Construction Managers, Project Engineers, Proposal Managers, Tender Managers, Commercial Team Leaders, Senior Management, Decision Makers, Contract Administrators and Procurement Personnel. These training seminars will benefit individuals that desire a greater knowledge and understanding of the important function of Cost Estimating.
We can customize our seminars and place greater emphasis on the training needs and goals of each organization.
For additional information please contact us.